Thursday, July 3, 2014
My Country Music Novel
I took that advice to heart, and therefore I am writing a country music novel.
As with all inspired ideas, it started out with a song - a George Strait song, by the by - and it turned into something a bit - okay, a lot - more involved.
My protagonist is an overnight disc jockey. She's landed in a dead-end town and she spins records in the wee hours. Meanwhile, she's being stalked by someone. At least everyone has convinced her that she is.
I am halfway through my story, and, oh yes, I do have a playlist. All inspired novelists have playlists - don't they?
Sometime, in the future, I'm going to link videos to my playlist - just because the visual medium helps me stay focused - but for now, here's what I've got:
1. Heartland - George Strait
2. There Goes My Heart - The Mavericks
3. Fast As You - Dwight Yoakam
4. Up! - Shania Twain
5. Does He Love You - Reba McEntire and Linda Davis
6. I Breathe In, I Breathe Out - Chris Cagle
7. I Cross My Heart - George Strait
8. Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
9. Mama Tried - Merle Haggard
10. A Better Man - Clint Black
11. Indian Outlaw - Tim McGraw
12. T-R-O-U-B-L-E - Travis Tritt
13. Crazy - Patsy Cline
14. Mama He's Crazy - The Judds
15. I'm Movin' On - Rascal Flatts
16. I Hope You Dance - Lee Ann Womack
17. Wagon Wheel - Darius Rucker
18. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
These don't necessarily represent my "favorite" songs. But they're songs that fit within the story. I guess you'd just have to read it.
And here's the deal - if I don't manage to land an agent - and that's pretty hit or miss, to be honest - I'm going to self-publish. So, if you're a country music fan, you can still read this thing. One caveat - it could take me another six months or so before I finish it, and another 30 days before I figure out how in the hell to turn it into an e-book. But I'll get there.
Just a hint - number 15 is the one to watch for. That's the one that pretty much seals the deal.
Tonight I listened to some Merle Haggard songs. And I sang along. And I cried. I didn't want to ever have to write this. I&...
What? Ray Stevens? The guy who did Gitarzan and The Streak? What do you mean, a genius? Isn't he just kind of corny? I sometimes thi...
I don't plan to discuss American Idol here very often. Face it, you read about it everywhere . Who needs another blog about it? That s...
Well, I did it. Not only did I accomplish the goal of writing 14 songs in 28 days, but I actually wrote 16! So, here you go. They'...