Thursday, July 3, 2014
My Country Music Novel
I took that advice to heart, and therefore I am writing a country music novel.
As with all inspired ideas, it started out with a song - a George Strait song, by the by - and it turned into something a bit - okay, a lot - more involved.
My protagonist is an overnight disc jockey. She's landed in a dead-end town and she spins records in the wee hours. Meanwhile, she's being stalked by someone. At least everyone has convinced her that she is.
I am halfway through my story, and, oh yes, I do have a playlist. All inspired novelists have playlists - don't they?
Sometime, in the future, I'm going to link videos to my playlist - just because the visual medium helps me stay focused - but for now, here's what I've got:
1. Heartland - George Strait
2. There Goes My Heart - The Mavericks
3. Fast As You - Dwight Yoakam
4. Up! - Shania Twain
5. Does He Love You - Reba McEntire and Linda Davis
6. I Breathe In, I Breathe Out - Chris Cagle
7. I Cross My Heart - George Strait
8. Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
9. Mama Tried - Merle Haggard
10. A Better Man - Clint Black
11. Indian Outlaw - Tim McGraw
12. T-R-O-U-B-L-E - Travis Tritt
13. Crazy - Patsy Cline
14. Mama He's Crazy - The Judds
15. I'm Movin' On - Rascal Flatts
16. I Hope You Dance - Lee Ann Womack
17. Wagon Wheel - Darius Rucker
18. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
These don't necessarily represent my "favorite" songs. But they're songs that fit within the story. I guess you'd just have to read it.
And here's the deal - if I don't manage to land an agent - and that's pretty hit or miss, to be honest - I'm going to self-publish. So, if you're a country music fan, you can still read this thing. One caveat - it could take me another six months or so before I finish it, and another 30 days before I figure out how in the hell to turn it into an e-book. But I'll get there.
Just a hint - number 15 is the one to watch for. That's the one that pretty much seals the deal.
What? Ray Stevens? The guy who did Gitarzan and The Streak? What do you mean, a genius? Isn't he just kind of corny? I sometimes thi...
(A blast from the past, but oh so timely today): Yes, that's right. After careful consideration, I have decided to run. Oh sure, you...
I've been spending a bunch of time putting videos together for some of Red River's songs. It's frustrating, yet exhilarating, i...